Appraisal and Disposal of Records
3-DAY Skills Programme on:
Records Management: Appraisal and Disposal
(Based on US: 259458, NQF Level 4, 8 Credits)
- Understanding of the purpose of having an effective disposal programme as an important element in ensuring effective records management.
- A basic understanding of the process of appraisal, the various techniques used, abroad and nationally, and various schools of thought on the activity.
- A basic understanding of the process of macro-appraisal, its advantages and shortfalls.
- Knowledge of and understanding disposal authorities and their relationship to various sections of legislation associated with records.
- Understanding of the purpose and process of the office of origin determining the retention periods for records. A basic understanding of the criteria that should be used during this process.
This course is aimed mainly at: Records managers registry staff and registry clerks, work-study officials, business analysts, archivists, information managers and system administrators.
- Understanding the relevant concepts effecting appraisal, retention and disposal;
- Duties and responsibilities of record manager in regard to document classification, retrieving and disposal;
- Classification systems;
- Understanding appraisal;
- Appraising policies and practices;
- Investigations during the appraisal process;
- Understanding retention;
- Retention Periods;
- Understanding disposal
- Clearing up of records.
COURSE OUTCOMES: After successful completion of this skills programme, the learner will be able to:
- Define and explain classification systems.
- Apply classification system(s). (The learner will also be able to create and maintain records according to the classification system and evaluate the classification system and make recommendations to authorised individuals).
- Evaluate classification systems (in terms of their differences, advantages and disadvantages)
- Awareness of the necessity of introducing and managing a records management disposal programme
- Familiarity with various appraisal techniques as well as schools of thought and problems associated with the process.
- Awareness of the necessity for an organisation to have a clearly defined appraisal policy.
- Applying the process of macro-appraisal and its relationship to effective recordkeeping systems.
- Compilation of an appraisal report.
- Awareness of the various disposal authorities and responsibility of the office of origin.
- Successful application of criteria in determining retention periods for records.
- An ability to identify and define the basic terms used in appraisal, retention and disposal; understanding of the importance of effective appraisal, retention and disposal programmes; basic assessment of administrative and enduring values of records; compiling and implementing disposal authorities and determining retention periods.
Course Start Date
23 Apr 2018, 8:00 am
Course End Date
25 Apr 2018, 4:00 pm
Price Per Person (ex VAT)
Protea Capital Hotel